Saturday, October 29, 2011

Music reviews 10/29

Archgoat - Heavenly Vulva (Christs' last Rites)
Jesus. I can feel the black vomit oozing off of this musik! The word TRUE gets thrown around a lot. Well my friend, if this isn't TRUE then there
is no fukking truth! Most people cannot take this, and that is not sarcasm. This is musik that seperates the hipsters from those dedicated to extreme
music. Many bands play primitive music. But it doesn't matter how fast, how slow, how heavy, how subtle - without CHARACTER there is nothing worthy. This
band has much personality. No guitar solos needed. Just a huge black heart of filth. Now excuse me, I must wash my ears of SLIME!


Bastard Priest - ghouls of the Endless night (Pulverized Records)
This rules. Period. Klassik Swedish Death Metal sound. There is nothing else that needs to be said. If you don't know what klassick Swedish
DM is, listen to this. If you don't like it, you don't like klassick Swedish DM. go back to the lame trendy "melodic" shite! And please stay out
of the pit when these guys come to town. I prefer to mosh with TRUE death metal heads. Thank you.

Blut Aus Nord - 777 The Desanctification (Debemur Morti Productions)
Obscure occult Crowley reference? Check. Cryptic album art with iconic mystical symbols? Check. Obscure droning intro which sounds completely
unsettling? I think so. What I like about this band is their subtlety. They UNDERSTAND not to klobber you with generic cliches. Fuck, this band is
awesome. And original. Blut Aus Nord does it again. Pretentious as fukk and artsy fartsy as hell. But if the music is this good I could give a fukk!
To me this is the sort of music Nile should be trying to make. It sounds otherworldly and obscure. It has many levels. Paints a picture in your mind,
while swirling in and out of a terrifying Black Metal sound wall. I could go on, but I am starting to lose my mind as this plays. Excuse me I have to go
trip out to this...

Exhumed - All guts no glory (Relapse)
On this latest album Exhumed has for sure crafted more technical songs and have pushed themselves to be more brutal and fast. Problem is, just about
everything on here sounds like a less exciting version of what bands like Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, and Morbid Angel were doing like 15 years ago. The
kids will be slamming to it, and that's great. The band has worked hard and they deserve it. But the generic tag just won't disapear with pits. There are
moments of classic Death Metal, but they are constantly interrupted with "look how technical we can be" moments. All elements of greatness are here, they just
never stick to one of those elements long enough to fully realize the potential. There's also too many "this soiunds like this and that band" moments.
Homage is one thing. Sounding like puzzle pieces of other bands is not a good thing at this stage in a a band's career. Especially when those pieces are
unused riffs that never made it to the album. I like em, and they will always have a place in my heart from the dive bar shows I seen in the late 90s.
But they just ain't "got it." Time has proven that. But that never stopped Relapse from pushing a band. Let's hear another Dekapitator album. And keep it
german please, no Metallica riffs. Thanks. -Shax

Hull - Beyond the Lightless Sky (The End)
Have I reviewed this already or am I confused with another pretentious artsy fartsy band named after a boat part? This is pure shit of the highest degree.
I see bald heads, full sleeve tattoos, and huge primitive man beards. If I could I would put on the Predator constume and walk up to these guys and go,
"Wwwwwhhaaaat ttttthhheeee hhheeeellll aaaarrrreeee yyyyyyooouuuuuu!" The answer would surely be SHITE!

Rex Mundi "IHVH" (Debemur Morti Productions)
That is some sort of Hebrew thing in the album title there. It means god or something. I know because I used to study that shit!Anyways, enough about me...
The delightful droning buzz of grim black Metal is now tatilizing my eager ears...Judging by the lyrics - these guys take themselves quite seriously. There
is a sort of theme in the way Nile has the Egypt thing. Only here it is Kaballah or some bastardization of it. I don't really care, what matters is that this
is just great straight up old school grim Black Metal. And if you've read my reviews, you know there is very little new Black Metal that I like. But I'm
gonna go ahead and say this rules. It's very Transyvanian Hungry ish. Or perhaps, Transylvanian Hebrew??? Whatever the case - it is well done. Of course,
there is really nothing original at all. It is almost funny how unoriginal this is. But hey, if you like the grim cold sound you know that a hell of alot
of bands can;t seem to get it right. This band does. Add it too the STACK!


The Aberrant Phase - Self Released CD
Lots of screaming, lots of grinding - but kinda cheap sounding. Sounds like a million other bands, but without the
squeeky clean producion, which I like. his kind of music needs to smell like a dirty underground warehouse for me to
like it. That being said, this is just not original enough for me and it is not my first choice of style to turn up.
But if you like bands like Human Remains and Exit 13 this is a least a different group of songs to check out.
aberrantphase@gmail.com

The Devil's Blood - The Thousandfold Epicenter (Metalblade)
Sounds like Metalblade is looking at the trendiness of bands like "ghost" and deciding they need to go that direction. Or maybe I am just hungover and
feel like picking on them. Anyways, this is serious retro shit. And I don't mean it's "shit" but it's total 60s/70s psycadelic rock with a modern
production. This isn't bad, just a bit random and completely reaking of "let's cash in on a trend." Vocals are cool and fairly original. This ain't
Metal by the way. Although there is some cool dual guitar work here and there. Why am I revewing this??? Seriously though, not bad, just a bit too
calculated sounding. Check it out if you like psychadelic 60s rock with a Euro feel.

Toxic Holocaust - Conjure and Command (Relapse)
I hate the production on this. The music is technically "fast" and all that. But it just sounds soft. I don't know what it is. Is technology just
getting too good to capture RAWNESS anymore? Some nice riffs in here. Seems like a good fun pit band to open a show. Pretty much caught in the
Death/Thrash area. They could call this band MOSH PIT RIFFS. Or M.P.R. Vocals are almost pointless. He's probably just glad to be in the band and
doesn't wanna rock the boat. Where are the solos guys? Do you know how to play a solo? Ok, there we go. Eh...WEAK! "Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide." gee,
have more brutal lyrics been written ever?????????????????????????????????????????????? The riffs are good though. The guitarist should fire everyone.
and find a guitarist who can play a fucking solo and a singer who can think of a better line than "NOWHERE TO RUN NOWHERE TO HIDE."
Toxic Holocaust. Opening a 10 band show near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment