Thursday, May 19, 2011

May 2011 Reviews...

Dantesco "Seven Years of Battle" Stormspell Records. This is the follow up to the awesome "Pagano" album. More of the killer traditional Metal guitars with
a dark latin/doom edge. People like to call this band Doom I guess. I can't really blame them, as it is very Candlemassy at times. But it is also very
Maidenish - but people seem to not notice that. I guess if you rip off the riff to "2 Minutes to Midnight" or "The Trooper" it's "Maideny" but if you
rip of the riff to "Quest for Fire" or "Powerslave" it's Doom? Anyways, whatever the fuck you wanna call it, it kicks serious ass and stands along side
any traditional Metal outfit I am hearing come out of Europe today. But with a refreshing original edge. And I don't just mean the Spanish spoken operatic
vocals, I mean the music as well. From the epic compositions to the well placed melodies and solos. Lyrics do well to follow a Pagan theme and compliment
the latin folk vibe. One of the better bands around today in my humble opinion, and one of the few I have heard from Puerto Rico. If you know of any more
killer Metal bands from this area, feel free to let me know! shaxul@shaxulrecords.com

Panzerchrist "Regiment Ragnarok" Listenable Records. Danish Death Metal band's latest. I haven't actually listened to this band much that I can remember
so I come with fresh, unbiased ears! Very aggressive in the way of Cannibal Corpse "Corpsegrinder" era, but somewhat Melodic in the way of Morbid Angel or
maybe...uh...Morbid Angel. With a touch of Morbid Angel. Shit, the singer even sounds like Steve Tucker. The song "Metal Tribes" sounds like a pretty good
immitation of something from "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh." But a little more straight forward I guess. Not very original, but pretty solid all the way
through.

Pharoah "Ten Years" EP. Cruz Del Sur Music. Solid traditional Metal. Initially, the vocals are maybe just a little too ROb Halford to concentrate on
anything else. Music is the typical Euro Power Metal style, but perhaps a bit more on the guitar side and less on the "keyboard side." More on the
Speed Metal side of things. Jesus, this singer sounds almost exactly like Halford. It's really bugging me! Nice fancy duel leads and lots of melodic
lines to remind you "by the way, you are listening to traditional metal!" I thought "White Light" was gonna sound like "White Heat Red Hot" but boy was I
wrong! It sounds more like something from Halford's last solo album. Ok, so I wasn't THAT off. This is some very solid and professional Traditional
Metal with a few moments that stand out. But overall, just good drinking music for when I go to a show. But nothing I would take home with me. Singer is
wat too damned Halfordy as well. And I should add - NEWER Halford, not OLD Halford.

Anaal Nathrakh "Passion" New album out on Candlelight Records. Ok let's see...Brutal as fuck, but in a sort of late 90s Pantera sort of way. The drum machine
gives this an obvious industrial sounding edge and kind of dates it to the 90s. At times reminds me of that band Max Cavalera was in a while back -
kinda like a mix of Hardcore/grind and industrial as other reviewers have pointed out already. The guitar riffs are actually pretty good in parts.
Some interesting diversions between the hyper fast generic Black Industial Metal displays. And some of the vocals are annoying, while at other moments
they are actually pretty damned fucked sounding. This is not really my cup of tea, but for the style it is rooted in, not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment