Thursday, March 24, 2011

New Burzum "Fallen"

Like the previous album, this one is extremely basic yet powerful. If anything, it is slightly better than "Belus." More melodic vocal experimentation,
but only to increase the scary vibe.

I'm not the biggest fan of Varge "the person," but I have to admit he is the real deal and I would call him a real artist in an endless sea of wanna-be Black Metal bands. This music may not blow many people away, but it feels much more real than most Metal I hear. And to me, real = heavier.

I am no expert on modern Black metal recordings, as I find the entire genre has become increasingly boring and self parodying, but this is about as good as it gets. So many bands try so hard to sound like old school 90s Black Metal,
but to me Burzum is proof that you either have it or you don't. Burzum clearly has it, and they seem to spew it out effortlessly. Darkthrone is another band that "has it," but are clearly getting bored and running out of ideas. Perhaps it's because Varge was in jail for so long, but he still has good ideas that sound old but feel fresh.

Nothing amazing here really, but to me the best Back Metal is not amazing. It's just cold and powerful. And those are the 2 words I would use to
describe this.

The lyrics are all in Norwegian so I have no idea what the songs are about, but I am sure it is very deep and way over my head. If you liked "Belus" you'll like this. If you like old school, cold, lo fi Black Metal I don't see how you wouldn't like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment